Monday, 20 May 2013

GREEN AND GOLD = HEALTHY LIVING! ;-)


More greens for you!

So, after my green smoothie breakfast this morning (see my first blog), which, by the way you can of course substitute the spinach for kale, I felt like a big bowl of fresh, green Kale salad for lunch.
Kale is a particularly nutritional powerhouse, and isn't categorized as a superfood for nothing!
It is incredibly high in iron (more than beef per calorie!), calcium (more than milk per calorie!) and magnesium, antioxidants, Vitamins (particularlyK, A and C) and is one of the best foods to detoxify your body, boost your immune system, protect your heart and strengthen your bones.
Only be careful if you are on blood thinning medication like warfarin, as the high amounts of vitamin K can have a naturally similar effect.

In any case, I loved my salad!



For the base:

1 packet of curly kale (or any other types of kale)
juice of 1 lemon
1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
1 good pinch of salt

Remove the leaves from the tough inner stems and cut into very small strips. Put into a bowl and mix with the other ingredients. And by mix, I mean get your hands in there! Massage, rub, squeeze and scrunch until the kale has shrunk to about a quarter of the volume and is nicely tender!

Then you can add any or all of the following:

Cherry tomatoes
Pine Nuts (or any other nuts)
Sunflower seeds (or any other seeds)
Olives
Grapes

or else be creative!
I have to give credit to Jennifer Cornbleet for this one, here is the original version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykedcGpo1Jk

Enjoy!

What else can be done with kale?

KALE CHIPS

Who doesn't like to munch on something salty and crispy? And while the usual potato crisps are definitely the most addictive of them all (don't even start on them!), there are plenty of healthy and tasty alternatives. One of them are Kale crisps/chips.  To be truly raw, they have to be done in a dehydrator. But I know that many of you don't own one and don't (yet) want to spend money on one, and don't really mind if it's raw, as long as it is healthier than Tayto's, so will post you an alternative to be baked in an oven that I have found on the internet. I haven't tried this one out myself so please let me know how it turned out if you do!

RAW VERSION:
http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-food-kale-chips-9-ways/



BAKED VERSION:
http://yourlighterside.com/2013/03/roasted-kale-chips-four-ways/



So why GOLD?
Well, of course, I am starting my ZUMBA GOLD classes today!

I have been really looking forward to this and am so excited about it! Zumba Gold classes are NOT just classes for active older participants, as they are sometimes run in the US (even though they are well suitable for them), are for ALL ages, shapes and levels and are as much fun (if not more!) as any other Zumba class and can even be a more effective workout! Why? Because they work your whole body, train your core and keep you fit in a more holistic way, without putting too much stress on knees and joints and by providing routines that you can easily follow CORRECTLY, so you can get more out of it. Altogether, it feels more like dance to me (with hidden fitness and toning elements that you will hardly notice) than like aerobics and can make you feel great! Well, that's only my own opinion and you all know I am biased because I just love love love to dance!

ENJOY YOUR WORKOUT, WHATEVER IT IS!!

Also, I do believe you can actually loose more weight and shape up quicker if you actually enjoy your workout, as you won't be causing any stress to your body and mind, which can actually prevent you from achieving your goals! In fact, rising cortisol levels can lower your metabolism, increase your fat storage and cause you food cravings, so always pick a workout that you actually really enjoy, no matter what! 20 minutes walking a day can do much more for you than a tough workout in the gym if you don't enjoy them!
Here is an article about this you can have a look through
http://www.musclemagfitness.com/nutrition/weight-management/how-stress-can-affect-your-weight.html

In any case, I do hope to see some of you in class some day!
Mondays, 6.30pm @ Oylegate community centre or
Thursdays 6.30 pm @ Step by Step Dance Studio, 12 Westpoint, Wexford.



Bye for now!
Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment